Loving Arms Inc. provides mentoring and referral services for Children whose parents are incarcerated. Children whose parents are incarcerated have increased risk factors and may find themselves deprived emotionally and socially.
The period of a parent’s incarceration is an excellent opportunity for positive intervention with these children. Just being a presence in their lives can greatly impact the choices they make. It is not our job to fix the problems or situations; it’s an opportunity to show the child that someone cares. High quality mentoring programs such as ours can:
- Reduce first-time drug and alcohol use
- Increase regular school attendance
- Improve grades
- Improve caregiver and peer relationships
Through our mentoring programs, primarily funded through gifts and donations, we support brave, bright, engaging children through a time of uncertainty. We are here to support their social, emotional, and physical development, along with academic achievement, during the duration of their parent’s incarceration.
Children of Prisoners: The Facts:
- When your parent is in prison, so are you.
- These children face a 70% probability of following their parents to prison at some point.
- These kids live in our neighborhood, go to our schools, attend our churches.
- Do you know them?
- Having a significant adult in your life can help to break the cycle.
Could you be that person?
Become a Mentor
Few bonds in life are more influential than those between a young person and an adult. Basic qualities of successful mentors:
- A sincere desire to be involved with a young person
- Respect for young people
- Willing to listen actively
- Able to Empathize
- Ability to see solutions and opportunities
- Able to be flexible and open
- Inquire Online or Email to Inquire today to speak with a Coordinator
- Apply. Ready to take the next step right now? Complete the online application. This will help speed up the process. Alternatively, after you inquire online, a match coordinator will contact you.
Remember, you can make a difference!
Need a Mentor
Complete the online application. This will help speed up the process.
After you make your request on line, a match coordinator will contact you.
(For Use by School and Other Community Agency Staff )
(To Be Completed by Youth)